We provide care, treatment and advice for women experiencing pelvic health issues.
Women’s health services include:
- Antenatal and post-natal pelvic girdle pain
- Other pregnancy-related musculoskeletal disorders
- Postnatal abdominal separation (recti divarication)
- Continence issues related to both bladder and bowel
- Female sexual pain (dyspareunia)
- Chronic pelvic pain (pain lasting longer than six months). Including pain in the pelvic floor, lower abdominal or pelvic region: urethra, bladder and anal pain.
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Constipation and obstructive defaecation
- Pre-operative and post-operative education for gynaecology surgery.
Examination and treatment
A physical examination is often required. We will explain this to you during your appointment. If you have any concerns about the proposed examination, please let your physiotherapist know. You may request a chaperone, but if one is not available at the time of your appointment, we may need to reschedule the examination for another day.
Before treatment starts, we will discuss your problem with you and set realistic goals, treatment is tailored to your individual needs and we will discuss it with you in advance. Treatment often includes one or more of the following:
- Education in the self-management of the problem
- A variety of manual therapies (hands-on treatments by the physiotherapist)
- Exercise prescription
- Exercising at home
- Physiotherapy is not a passive treatment, and we will ask you to do exercises at home. It is important to do these exercises so that your physiotherapy is effective.